Summer… long hot days, low energy, diminished appetite and yet you still have to eat! How many times have you dreaded the thought of needing to cook on a long, hot summer day. Standing in a hot kitchen is definitely not appealing on such days, but there is always an alternative 🙂
Summer is for light meals. Salads are therefore always a good idea. I have various cooking books at home and from time to time I like to go through some of them to get inspiration and come up with something different.
I have made this sweet potato salad on various occasions. It is always popular as it is something different from the usual salad. It has various layers of taste with every bite you take. There is sweet, fresh, tangy and even a pop of saltiness every now and then. Besides all this, it is definitely a healthy meal, easy to prepare and suitable for vegans too. This salad is excellent as a light meal on its own as well as a side dish, perfect to serve on your next BBQ night. You can prepare it well in advance and don’t worry about any leftovers (if any!). I find that this salad will taste even better the next day 😀
Sweet Potato Salad
A sweet, fresh and tangy Summer salad with a pop of saltiness
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1/2 cup capers
- Handful of fresh lemon mint, finely chopped
- Rucola (optional) For the dressing:
- 1 lemon juice
- 1 tbsp orange peel
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- Sea salt & black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Wash the sweet potatoes and cut them into 1-inch cubes. Place the cubed sweet potato on a roasting dish and drizzle some olive oil on top. Place in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes until tender and golden in colour. Set it aside to cool completely.
- In a jar, combine all the dressing ingredients and shake well. Set it aside.
- In a large salad bowl, combine the sweet potatoes, celery, cucumber, capers and mint. Pour the dressing into the bowl and combine until all ingredients are well coated with the dressing.
- Just before serving, add the rucola to the salad and give it another quick mix.