Fritters are one way of incorporating more vegetables in your diet and can be appealing to both kids and adults. The flavour depends on the herbs and spices that you add into the mixture. The recipe below can just be used as a guideline which can easily be adjusted to everyone’s preferences.
Fritters are excellent to make use of any vegetables that may not be the prettiest of the lot. All ingredients are shredded or finely chopped and therefore their appearance does not matter at all.
The smokey zucchini fritters are packed with healthy ingredients, including zucchini, rolled oats and sunflower seeds, all of them known for their numerous health benefits. The smokey flavour is derived from smoked paprika and smoked chipotle pepper powder. This is balanced by a tangy and nutty sauce made with natural plain yoghurt, tahini paste and fresh lemon balm mint.
These simple and healthy fritters are perfect for a light lunch or dinner, accompanied by a portion of fluffy couscous or bulgur wheat. They are also ideal as a healthy snack with a simple dipping sauce.
This recipe proves that there is no need for any special or fancy ingredients to prepare delicious and good food. They are all simple ingredients that can be found in anyone’s kitchen. Moreover, this is a quick and easy recipe, which enables you to have food ready and served within an hour, great for a weeknight dinner.
I also have a recipe for the Zucchini & Feta Cheese Fritters, which I really like and have cooked multiple times. They are tangy and fresh, ideal for the hot summer days. 😊
Smokey Zucchini Fritters
Ideal as a snack or as a light meal
- For the sauce:
- 4 tbsp natural plain yoghurt
- 2 tbsp tahini paste
- Lemon balm mint, finely chopped
- Salt & pepper, to taste For the Fritters:
- 1 large zucchini, coarsely shredded
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp wholemeal flour
- 30g rolled oats
- 30g sunflower seeds
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp smoked chipotle powder
- 1 egg
- Sea salt & black pepper
- For the sauce: In a small bowl, mix all ingredients together until well combined. Cover and set aside.
- For the fritters: In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients together, except for the egg.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg and generously season with salt and pepper. Stir into the zucchini mixture. Add more flour to the mixture if it is too watery.
- In a large frying pan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Once hot, drop a couple of tablespoons of the mixture into the pan, leaving some space in between.
- Repeat with the remaining mixture.
- Serve either warm or at room temperature with the sauce and a side of bulgur wheat or couscous if desired.