A while back, I posted a recipe for a simple Savoury Cornbread. It is a recipe that I made over and over again. It is great for packed lunches or a simple lunch on a lazy Saturday afternoon. It is easy to prepare and can be prepared in less than an hour.
I have since experimented with different flavours and one that we really enjoy is made with feta cheese and jalapeño peppers. It has a combination of saltiness, heat and sweetness that makes all your tastebuds wake up and dance. It is still light, fluffy and moist… and definitely delicious!
The base of the cornbread remains the same as my previous recipe. So if you have already tried the other one, you know that it is very straightforward to prepare. 🙂
[recipe title=”Feta & Jalapeño Cornbread” servings=”4″ time=”45mins” difficulty=”easy” image=”https://www.kitchenvoyage.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/cornbread_jalapeno_feta_kv.jpg” description=”A light, fluffy and moist cornbread packed with flavour.”]
- 125g cornmeal
- 125g all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 15g baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 245g milk
- 1 large egg
- 50g olive oil
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1 fresh jalapeño pepper, thinly cut into rounds
- 100g feta cheese, crumbles
- 100g mature cheddar cheese, grated
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- In a large bowl, mix the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Whisk them together to ensure they are well combined.
- In another bowl, whisk the milk, egg and oil together.
- Pour the wet ingredients onto the dry ingredients and combine until no dry patches are visible. Do not over-mix.
- Add the spring onions, jalapeño and feta cheese and fold into the mixture until just combined.
- Pour the mixture into a 9-inch cake tin and sprinkle the grated cheddar cheese and add a good grind of black pepper.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown on top. Let it cool down slightly before cutting into it.