It is the season for BBQs and picnics, when everyone prepares meals and snacks to share with their family and friends. I have a perfect food item for your next get-together! 🙂
These savoury cheesy zucchini muffins are easy to make and sooo delicious! They can be eaten on their own or served with a light salad. They are also great for breakfast, brunch, snack or light lunch! During the soup season, they are also great to accompany a bowl of hearty warm soup.
As with the cornbread recipe, I opt for a mature cheddar cheese as it adds much more flavour. However, you can choose your favourite kind.
For this recipe, I am using my trusted silicone muffin pans. In this case, there is no need to grease the muffin pans, therefore reducing fats from butter/oil. However, if you are using metal muffin pans make sure that they are greased properly to enable the muffins to pop out easily once baked.
Cheesy Zucchini Muffins
Ideal as a snack or light lunch and also great for picnics or BBQs to share with family and friends
- 360g all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 250ml milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 200g zucchini, grated
- 100g cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, salt, pepper and dried thyme together. Set them aside.
- In a jug, whisk the milk, egg and oil together.
- Pour the wet ingredients onto the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. You may need to add 1-2 tablespoons of water to ensure that all ingredients are wet. The batter should be very thick.
- Fold in the zucchini, cheese and spring onions until evenly distributed.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin tins and bake for 30 minutes or until they re golden brown. A toothpick inserted in the centre of the muffins should come out clean.
- Allow the muffins to cool slightly in the muffin tin before transferring them onto a cooling rack to cool completely.