During the past months, I have been testing new recipes while also enjoying some of our favourites which you can find on this blog.
We really enjoy recipes with Mexican flavours, and think they are great at any time of day. We have enjoyed many such dishes, from breakfast burritos to vegan tacos, and the below is our latest favourite as it combines an Italian classic with the flavours of Mexico.
I have used a number of different vegetables in this dish, amped up by a flavourful tomato sauce and a variety of spices. It is delicious hot, right out of the oven. However, it is also great the next day, when the flavours have had some time to mingle together.
This recipe is very easy to prepare and can also be prepared in advance. After baking, just let it cool off completely and then leave it covered in the fridge. It is a perfect vegetarian dish after a long day at work.
A take on the classic Italian dish inspired by Mexican flavours
- 750g butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp ground cumin seeds
- 2 tsp ground coriander seeds
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 can tomatoes, cubed
- 1/2 tsp smoked chipotle powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, cubed
- 1 carrot, cubed
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 150g frozen sweetcorn
- 2 tbsp pickled jalapeño peppers
- 4 corn tortillas (mine were 20cm in diameter)
- 400g sour cream
- 200g cheddar cheese, grated
- Sea salt & black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius. Place the butternut squash on a baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil, add a teaspoon each of cumin and coriander and season with salt and pepper. Mix everything together and roast in a preheated oven for 30-40 minutes until soft.
- In a small sauce pan, heat a tablespoon of olive oil and add the garlic. Once fragrant, add the tomato paste and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the canned tomatoes together with the chipotle powder and the paprika. Let it simmer gently for 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the onion, carrots and red pepper and cook for 10-12 minutes until the vegetables are turning slightly soft. Add a teaspoon each of oregano, cumin and coriander, stir well and cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add the kidney beans, sweetcorn, pickled jalapeños and roasted butternut squash. Mix everything to combine.
- With all components ready to go, start assemble the Mexican lasagna. In the bottom of a 20x30cm oven dish, spread 1/3 of the tomato sauce.
- Place 2 corn tortillas over the sauce. Spread half of the vegetable mixture and distribute evenly over the tortillas. Top with half of the sour cream. Add another 1/3 of the tomato sauce and top with half of the grated cheddar cheese.
- Repeat step 6 once again.
- Cover with foil and bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for another 10 minutes until the top is golden in colour.
- Let it cool slightly before cutting into it.