This recipe is inspired by Yotam Ottolenghi’s Pasta and Butternut Squash Cake. A couple of weeks ago, I followed this recipe to prepare my version of this ‘cake’ for a weekend lunch. I did some minor twists to the original recipe and it was definitely a hit and super delicious. Any leftovers were soon gone on the same day for dinner! 😀
I made a Butternut squash and Pasta Cake, based on a recipe by @ottolenghi 😊 I did some minor twists to the original recipe but it was definitely a hit, super delicious. I would definitely do it again 😍😍 #food #homecooking #icookedottolenghi #ottolenghi #ottolenghirecipe #butternut #squash #pasta #recipe #delicious #healthyeating #vegetarian #kitchenvoyage
Since it was so tasty and undoubtedly approved, I started experimenting with different ingredients while still following the main idea of this recipe. A favourite of ours incorporated zucchini and aubergines. It is packed with flavour, filling and easy to prepare. All you need to do is mix all ingredients together and let the oven do the work for you.
This dish is perfect to serve warm out of the oven as well as to pack it in lunch boxes or to take it with you on picnics. It can be also prepared in advance, allowing it to cool completely and makes it easier to slice into portions.
Here’s what you need to do my version of the pasta bake! 🙂
Zucchini & Aubergine Pasta Bake
Perfect to eat warm out of the oven or to put in your lunch box
- 250g fresh lasagna sheets, torn into large pieces
- 1 small aubergine, thinly sliced
- 2 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 2 large tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 50g Grana Padano, grated
- 3-4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 50g pine nuts, toasted
- 100g sun-dried tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 200g fresh ricotta
- 200g feta cheese, crumbled
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 50ml water
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius. Line an 11inch cake tin with baking paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients together leaving 1/4 of the ricotta and 1/4 of the feta cheese and 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Once everything is combined, pour into the prepared cake tin and press down firmly to flatten it.
- Top with the remaining ricotta and feta cheese. Cover with aluminium foil and place in the preheated oven. Bake for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, discard the foil and bake for another 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown and crisp.
- Leave to cool for at least 30 minutes in the cake tin before serving.