Both aubergines and lentils are a staple of my diet. They are very versatile, which makes it easier for me to prepare these ingredients in various ways.
This recipe is perfect to make use of leftover cooked lentils and roasted aubergines. In fact, this is how I cooked the recipe for the first time. I had leftover BBQ’d aubergines and a handful of cooked lentils. If you have these 2 ingredients ready, there is not much else to do… dinner is almost ready! 🙂
But don’t worry if you don’t have them ready! It is still an easy and simple recipe which can be done within an hour. Lentils can be cooked in a pot of good vegetable stock to enhance their flavour, while the aubergine is roasting in the oven with garlic and herbs. All other ingredients are easily found in every kitchen.
This aubergine and lentil mixture can be eaten as is with a slice of fresh bread. Otherwise, I like to serve it over a bed of creamy polenta or creamy mashed potatoes. Although I never tried it, I assume that it can also make a great sauce to accompany a plate of pasta.
This is another healthy recipe added to my list of favourites. Both aubergines and lentils are packed with healthy benefits. Besides this, it is great to prepare in advance and can be easily increased in amount to serve at dinner parties.
I hope you too will give it a go and enjoy it as much as we did! Bon appetit! 😉
Roasted Aubergine & Green Lentils
A versatile mixture of roasted aubergines and green lentils
- 1 large aubergine
- 2-4 tbsp olive oil
- 4-6 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 100g dried green lentils
- 300g vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaf
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 100ml red wine
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- Chopped walnuts, to serve (optional)
- Polenta, to serve
- Cut the aubergine in half lengthwise. Using a paring knife, slash the aubergine with criss-cross cuts but do not cut through. Drizzle some olive oil, place the roughly chopped garlic cloves in the cuts and sprinkle the dried oregano and thyme. Season with salt and pepper. Put the 2 halves back together and wrap in foil. Place in a dish and in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 40-50 minutes until the aubergine is soft and juicy. This depends on the size of the aubergine. Once done, roughly chop the aubergine and set aside in a bowl. Make sure to collect all the juices.
- In a saucepan, cook the green lentils in the vegetable stock and the bay leaf until they are soft but not mushy. Drain the lentils and set aside.
- In a saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the onion and bay leaf and cook until the onion is translucent. Add the garlic and chilli flakes and cook for 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
- Pour the red wine and cook until the liquid has been reduced.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes, lentils and aubergine and cook for another 10-12 minutes on low heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Prepare the polenta according to package instructions until creamy.
- Serve the aubergine and lentil mixture over a nice serving of the creamy polenta. Top it up with some roughly chopped walnuts for an extra crunch.