When I was a child, I remember I did not like zucchini at all. My mum used to stuff them and put them in the oven or cook them in vegetable broth along with tiny pasta and other chopped up vegetables. In Malta, we call it Brodu bil-qarabagħli mimli. I remember I used to eat the filling and leave the zucchini there on the plate.
Nowadays, I like zucchini a lot. When they are in season, I especially like to slice them and grill them with some olive oil, garlic, lemon juice and salt and pepper. You can eat them as is or even add them to salads.
This week, I tried a similar version of my mother’s recipe of roasted stuffed zucchini. I chose to stuff mine with aubergines and tomatoes. However, the filling is up to you and your taste preferences. You can use minced meat or ricotta cheese for example. You can also use these ‘boats’ as your base for pizza toppings!
They are very easy to make and do not take a lot of time to prepare. This makes them an ideal weeknight dinner, which is also healthy and delicious. I hope you give them a try and enjoy them as much as we did! 🙂
- 2 zucchini
- 1 small aubergine
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 chili pepper
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- bunch of fresh parsley
- Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise. To scoop out the flesh, slice through the length of the zucchini 0.5cm in but do not cut through. Then cut horizontally 1 cm apart. Using a regular teaspoon, scoop out the flesh carefully and make sure not to break the boat 🙂 You will need the zucchini flesh for the filling too.
- Cut the aubergine, tomatoes and onion into small cubes. Finely chop the garlic and chili pepper.
- In a large saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add the onions and cook until soft.
- Add the garlic, chili pepper and rosemary and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the aubergine, zucchini flesh and the remaining olive oil. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Season with sea salt and fresh black pepper and stir in the chopped parsley.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Fill the zucchini boats with the aubergine mixture and place in the oven for around 5 minutes (or until the boats turn slightly soft).
- Serve with couscous or as a side to meat dishes.