I have been on a quest for a healthier kind of chocolate cake for a long time… testing out various recipes, adjusting ingredients and amounts to get a balanced chocolate cake. I try to limit the amount of added sugar as much as possible and try to find alternatives to sweeten my recipes.
Chocolate cake is an all-time favourite with my family. Although this recipe is on the healthier side, the cake is still fudgy and rich in flavour. The batter incorporates ripe bananas, which contribute to the sweetness and fudgyness, and natural yoghurt, which results in a moist and fluffy cake. The addition of chocolate chunks in the batter make the cake more decadent.
I have used natural plain yoghurt in my recipe. Otherwise, Greek yoghurt will also work. You can also use vanilla yoghurt. However, you have to be careful if it is already sweetened and you have to slightly reduce the amount of honey you put in.
You do not need any fancy equipment to make this cake and no need to try and find a special occasion as an excuse to bake it. The ingredients are all on the healthier side and therefore you do not have to feel guilty eating a piece of this cake! 🙂
Healthy Chocolate Cake
A fluffy, moist and rich chocolate cake on the healthier side
- 3 ripe bananas
- 125g natural yoghurt
- 100g honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp smooth peanut butter
- 1 egg
- 185g plain flour
- 40g cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/8 tsp fine sea salt
- 60g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius. Prepare a 9-inch round cake tin.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the plain flour, cocoa powder, bicarbonate of soda and sea salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the bananas, yoghurt, honey, vanilla extract and peanut butter. Blend all ingredients together until smooth.
- Lightly beat the egg and add it to the bananas mixture. Whisk all wet ingredients together.
- Pour the wet ingredients in the mixing bowl onto the dry ingredients and gently mix until no dry lumps are visible. Do not over-mix the batter.
- Fold in the dark chocolate chunks.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared cake tin.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Let it cool slightly in the cake tin before transferring it onto a cooling rack to cool completely.