Dinners, picnics, BBQs, drinks… all start with some nibbles or appetisers 😀 Dips are perfect for any occasion and can be shared with everyone.
Hummus is traditionally made with chickpeas, sesame seed paste (aka tahini), olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and spices. It comes from the Middle East however it is popular all over the world. You can even find it ready-made in most supermarkets. But I believe nothing beats a homemade one!
You can use both dried and canned chickpeas. The dried chickpeas give a slightly better flavour, but almost every time, I use the canned ones because it such a convenience to find them ready cooked. You barely notice the difference.
Always use fresh lemon juice and good quality olive oil and tahini for the best hummus. If you do not have or you do not like tahini, you can always leave it out. Just add more olive oil instead.
It is super easy to make hummus… just put everything in a food processor and puree until smooth in consistency. Beside being great as a dip, it is also incredible as a spread in sandwiches. I also like to serve it as a side to grilled vegetables and a sunny side up egg.
And for those who said it is easier to make mashed potatoes… I suggest you give this another thought… you know who you are! 😉
Homemade Classic Hummus
A creamy, easy-to-make classic hummus
- 1 x400g can chickpeas, drained
- 2 tbsp tahini paste
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- In a food processor, add all ingredients and puree until smooth in consistency.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
- As a dip: Serve it with carrot sticks, celery sticks, bell pepper strips, crackers or bread!
- As a spread: Spread it on your favourite bread and top it up with fresh tomatoes, crumbled feta cheese or roasted vegetables.
- As a light meal: Serve it as a side to grilled vegetables and a sunny side up egg.