During this time of the year, when peaches are very ripe and in full season, I like to include them in various smoothies, salads, muffins and galettes. One of my favourite summer salads includes peaches, burrata, tomatoes, fresh basil and a balsamic vinegar dressing. A simple meal which is easy to put together and incorporates current seasonal produce! 😋
The first time I made this peach and goat cheese galette was totally by coincidence. I didn’t have any burrata on hand. However, I had a tub of goat cheese spread and some homemade pie dough. I decided to experiment with them, combine them together and turn them into a galette. We were very happy with the result. Over time, I did tweaked the first galette I made and here’s the result.
I have prepared this galette using the rolled oats pastry, which I have also used for the Tomato Galette. However, it can also be made using puff pastry or any other pie crust pastry of your choice.
This could be served either as a starter or with a cup of tea or coffee. I find it very difficult to categorise it as sweet or savoury. However, I would be glad to eat it any time of the day! 😀
I hope you try it out before this season’s peaches disappear and you enjoy it as much as we did! 🙂
Peach & Goat Cheese Galette
A delicious starter to a meal as well as a great snack in between meals
For the pastry crust:
- 50g rolled oats
- 100g wholemeal flour
- 100g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 60ml vegetable oil
- 100ml water, at room temperature
For the filling:
- 150g goat cheese spread
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 4-6 peaches
- Fresh basil leaves
- For the crust: In a large mixing bowl, combine the rolled oats, wholemeal and plain flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt. Whisk until well combined. Add the vegetable oil and mix. Gradually pour the water and knead until a tacky dough is formed. You may not need the full amount. Form into a ball, cover and let it rest for at least 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat/paper.
- For the filling: In a small mixing bowl, combine the goat cheese, olive oil, thyme and black pepper. Mix well and set aside.
- Slice the peaches into 2cm thick wedges and set aside.
- Roll out the dough into a circular shape and drape it over the prepared baking sheet. It does not need to be a perfect circle.
- Spread the goat cheese on the rolled out dough, leaving 5cm border all around the edge.
- Place the peach wedges all over the goat cheese.
- Gently fold the 5cm border over the filling. Brush the pastry border with the olive oil.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the pastry is golden in colour and the peaches are soft.
- Decorate with fresh basil leaves.