You know Summer is very close by when you start noticing a variety of tomatoes at the local farmers market. This is what happened last weekend 🙂 At that instant I knew that I had to get my hands on some of them to prepare a delicious summer-and-sunshine-on-a-plate (aka tomato) galette.
This is a simple recipe made with fresh ingredients. It is ideal for picnics or as a starter. I have also served it on several occasions as a midweek light dinner.
I have prepared this galette using the rolled oats pastry, which I have used for the Broccoli & Ricotta Pie. However, it can also be made with puff pastry or any other pie crust pastry.
I paired the sweetness of the tomatoes with the saltiness and creaminess of the feta cheese, and added fresh basil, oregano, garlic and a shallot to bring all the flavours together. A great tip here is to layer the feta cheese first over the pastry, which will act as a barrier, and then top it up with the ripe tomatoes to avoid a soggy crust.
Remember: Get hold of some beautiful tomatoes on your next trip to your local farmers market and add this recipe to your meal plan for next week! 😀
A delicious summer-and-sunshine-on-a-plate (aka tomato) galette
For the pastry:
- 50g rolled oats
- 100g wholemeal flour
- 100g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 60ml vegetable oil
- 100ml water, at room temperature
For the filling:
- 4-6 medium tomatoes
- 150g feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Fresh basil, to decorate
- For the crust: In a large mixing bowl, combine the rolled oats, wholemeal and plain flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt. Whisk until well combined. Add the vegetable oil and mix. Gradually pour the water and knead until a tacky dough is formed. You may not need the full amount. Form into a ball, cover and let it rest for at least 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Line a baking tray with a silicone baking mat/paper.
- Chop the tomatoes into 3/4cm thickness and prepare the other ingredients.
- On a floured surface, roll out the dough into a big circle. Gently lift it and place it on the prepared baking tray.
- Layer the feta cheese on the pastry, leaving a 5cm border all around the edges.
- Sprinkle the diced shallot, the minced garlic, half of the dried oregano and the fresh basil on top. Grind some black pepper on top.
- Layer the tomato slices over the cheese. Sprinkle the remaining dried oregano and add some more black pepper.
- Gently fold the 5cm border over the filling. Brush the pastry border with the olive oil.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the pastry is golden in colour and the tomatoes are soft.
- Let it cool slightly before cutting into it.