A cold grey day can only get better with some bright colours and good food. What if you can combine the two to have a colourful dish of comfort food? 💡😀
This soup incorporates a mixture of colourful vegetables in a broth flavoured with various herbs and spices. I also like to sauté the vegetables first rather than just boiling them in the stock. This will give a more complex flavour and depth to the soup too.
You can choose your preferred vegetables to put in this dish. It can be a ‘clean-the-fridge’ kind of recipe too, to make use of what is left in your refrigerator drawer.
As with most of the other recipes here, this is a quick and easy one to make, that can also be prepared in advance. It is healthy and packed with flavour and vitamins. This soup is great to serve as a starter or on its own as a weeknight meal.
I hope these colours will brighten your day and make you feel better on these cold winter days 😀
Colourful Veggie Soup
A colourful veggie soup to brighten any day ☀️
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 carrot, cut lengthwise
- 1/2 red pepper, cut lengthwise
- 1/2 yellow pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tsp fresh turmeric, grated or 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander seeds
- 1/2 cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 l vegetable stock
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- A handful of fresh spinach leaves
- In a large saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the onion, carrot and peppers and cook until the onion is translucent, 8-10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger, turmeric, coriander, cumin seeds and bay leaf and cook for another 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Pour in the vegetable stock and bring to a gentle boil.
- Add the kidney beans and spinach leaves and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Serve warm with a slice of crusty bread.