A cake with no butter, no oil and very little added sugar that tastes delicious? Oh yes please! 🙂
This cake is a healthier alternative to the classic apple pie. With the amount of apples it contains it can barely be considered as a sweet… a slice of this cake can almost count towards one of your fruit intake for the day! 😀
This is a very easy recipe with a delicious and pretty result. The most annoying part of this recipe is the amount of preparation the apples require… peeling, coring and slicing. For those of us who are counting calories, this cake is ideal. There is no butter or oil in it and yet it is a flavourful and super moist cake. I even used a silicone cake tin, which does not require any greasing before pouring the cake batter.
This cake is great for breakfast or as a tea time snack. Otherwise, it can be served as dessert with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream or whipped cream.
Healthy Apple Cake
A healthy alternative to the classic apple pie
- 750g apples
- 2 eggs
- 75g dark brown sugar
- Zest from 1 orange
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- Pinch of salt
- 110g plain flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 75ml milk
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Prepare a 9-inch cake tin.
- Peel, core and slice the apples.
- Using your stand mixer, beat the eggs, sugar, orange zest, cinnamon, cloves and salt until thick and creamy.
- Add the flour, baking powder and milk and beat until well combined.
- Using a spatula, fold two-thirds of the apples into the batter.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared cake tin and place the remaining sliced apples over the batter. Lightly dust some cinnamon powder on the top.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Let it cool for a few minutes before transferring it onto a cooling rack to cool completely.