Aubergines are definitely one of my favourite vegetables and I love experimenting with new ways to turn a basic aubergine into something interesting! Recently, I have been making these aubergine rolls and have been experimenting with different fillings. The below combination is my favourite. 🙂
If for any reason, you would like to omit the zucchini, I suggest a double layer of aubergine. This helps to keep the roll better in shape. As for the filling, I used feta cheese but ricotta or cream cheese will do just as good.
Another filling option which we really enjoyed included feta cheese, kalamata olives, sun-dried tomatoes, fresh tomatoes and fresh basil. All those bright flavours will definitely make you think of sunshine and summer! ☀️
These aubergine rolls make for a healthy dinner, which is also ideal for vegetarians. Although it is slightly time-consuming until you grill all the slices of vegetables, it is otherwise very easy to prepare.
- 1 large aubergine
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 red pepper
- 2 tomatoes
- 200g feta cheese
- 1 tsp dried basil
- Olive oil
- Dried basil and oregano
- Salt and pepper
- Mix some dried basil and oregano with the olive oil and set it aside to infuse.
- Slice the aubergine and zucchini lengthwise around half a centimetre thick. Brush each slice with the infused olive oil.
- Cut the red pepper into wide strips and brush with olive oil.
- On a griddle pan, grill all the vegetables from both sides.
- In a bowl, mash the feta cheese and add a teaspoon of dried basil. If it is too crumbly, you might want to add a splash of milk to make it more creamy. But be very careful not to add too much!
- Place a large piece of cling film on the kitchen surface and start placing the aubergine slices next to each other, slightly overlapping.
- Place the zucchini slices over the aubergine, then the red pepper and tomato slices. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread the feta cheese on one end of the vegetables. Using the cling film, roll the vegetables and leave them wrapped.
- Chill them in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving.
- You can serve them with simple salad leaves, couscous, or any cooked grains.